Swimming starts up with information needed to dive into the team

To start off all races but backstroke swimmers must learn to dive off the block.  The swimmer will use their arms to swing and propel themselves forward into the water. The straighter and farther the swimmer enters the water the faster they will swim during a race.

McDaniel's Photography

To start off all races but backstroke swimmers must learn to dive off the block. The swimmer will use their arms to swing and propel themselves forward into the water. The straighter and farther the swimmer enters the water the faster they will swim during a race.

Winter sports like basketball, wrestling and cheerleading are all starting up which means it is time for SHS swimmers to preparing for the 2014 season.

“I have been prepared for swim season by swimming off seasons and going to all the practices,” junior Sarah Wessinger said.

The season officially starts on Mon, Nov. 10 at 4:30 p.m. There is a Junior Varsity team and a Varsity team.

All students interested in swimming this season need to be at practice with all required forms. This includes their Emergency Medical form, Physical Evaluation forms, payment and Payment form, Concussion form, and Student Participation form.

All these forms must be given to coaches before any student is allowed to enter the pool for practice.

If a student chooses to try out for the varsity swim team, tryouts will be from 2:30 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. on Nov. 10-11. The results will then be posted Nov. 12 before school on the pool bulletin board.

“My advice to swimmers trying out for varsity is to try your hardest during tryouts so that Dr. Carl can see how good a swimmer you are, and so you have a better chance of making the team. Varsity swimming is fun, but requires a lot of dedication,” junior Jory Gould said.

Varsity swimmers will be expected to attend all practices including morning practice, Saturday practice, practices after school and dry land practices.

“It is important to remember that when swimming JV you need to work just as hard as varsity and that being on JV is not just a given,” Wessinger said.

JV swimmers are expected to come to four practices a week and have the option of morning practice and Saturday practice.

To learn more information during the season go to the swim team website.