Chinese class shares New Year celebrations

Chinese+class+students+sell+various+food+items+during+all+three+lunches.+These+items+included+Chinese+snacks%2C+spring+rolls%2C+and+dumplings.+All+money+raised+went+to+the+club+to+support+their+activities.+

Photo courtesy of Staff

Chinese class students sell various food items during all three lunches. These items included Chinese snacks, spring rolls, and dumplings. All money raised went to the club to support their activities.

As part of learning and spreading the Chinese culture, the Chinese classes set up tables of food and activities in the Commons during lunch in honor of Chinese New Year.

The actual New Year occurred on Feb. 19, but due to the week off from school due to cold weather and snow, the festivities at SHS took place on Feb. 27.

Spring rolls and dumplings were on sale for 50 cents, and traditional Chinese music was played during all three lunches. A student from Miami University also performed a fan dance.

“I heard noises and wasn’t sure what was happening so I went over and then saw the dance. It was really interesting,” senior Elizabeth Gibson said.

Students taking Chinese stood at the table and welcomed all to stop by and learn about the holiday and culture.

“It was cool that they were selling different Chinese snacks during lunch. I made sure to go buy one,” senior Jacob Wang said.

For more information about Chinese New Year, visit History.com or go to shsleaf.org for more news on Chinese Club.