Moose water polo shoots into tournaments

Gould plays defense against her opponent. Outside of high school water polo, Gould swims for the high school and for the Blue Ash YMCA club team year round. In the spring and summer she plays for Moose as well as swimming. Photo by McDaniel’s Photography.

As the season has progressed, players have worked hard to establish themselves as a vital part of the Moose water polo team.

The first week of practice for the club team began Sun., March 22.

“The first week of Moose is good for practicing fundamental skills and introduces new ones so the coaches can see how well we can adapt to Moose style of play. We also do time trials for the 25 and 50 yard freestyle,” junior Hannah Kast said.

Both the A and B teams have 30 minutes of classroom time where the coaches are able to explain complicated plays, show videos and answers questions students have about the game.

The first week served as a try out week for both the boys and the girls teams. There is an A and B team; The A team being the more elite team.

“During the first week of practice, the coaches put together an A and a B team that are picked depending on the players skills and abilities,” junior Jory Gould said.

This leaves one hour of pool time, where the players are able to transfer what they learned in the classroom to the pool.

“In the classroom, we go over the information that we need to know and write out drills and go over things. It’s easier to learn in a classroom rather than in a pool where it’s really loud,” freshman Sarah Abraham said.

With the season underway, tournaments are beginning. The team travels all across the country to compete against different clubs. This prepared them for the Junior Olympic tournament which takes place at the end of the summer in California.

The first tournament is taking place on Sat. April 11 and Sun. April 12 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. For more information on Moose water polo, click here.