Varsity Gold Tennis secures state runners-up

Along+with+finishing+second+at+state+with+her+team%2C+senior+Alexandra+Abele+also+finished+second+at+state+in+the+individual+tournament.+Abele+placed+third+the+previous+year.+

Helen Sotropa

Along with finishing second at state with her team, senior Alexandra Abele also finished second at state in the individual tournament. Abele placed third the previous year.

Cheers erupted from every direction as the Varsity Gold tennis team defeated Toledo Notre Dame Academy to officially qualify for the Ohio High School Athletic Association Tennis State Team Finals.

Senior Margaret Skwara said, “A lot of teams didn’t think we would make it this far. On paper, were weren’t even ranked top 5 in the state until recently. It felt surreal being in Columbus and competing in the finals.”

Since August, the Varsity Gold tennis team has played multiple matches against other schools in Ohio to continue advancing in the state team tournament. Wins over top-ranked Mason and Ursuline led them to the Final Four in Columbus.

Sophomore Kaitlyn Jiang said, “I can honestly say this team has worked harder than any other to get to this point. All of our practice has truly paid off.”

In the state finals, which took place on October 18th, SHS faced Dublin Jerome. Although each team member poured her heart out on the courts, the team lost and took second.

Senior Alexandra Abele said, “Even though we got second, I’m still so proud of this team. We have accomplished so much more than anyone imagined. I’m going to remember this moment for the rest of my life.”

The seniors on the team have ended their high school tennis careers on a high note. But with six seniors leaving and only three returning members, the Varsity Gold tennis team will experience a new dynamic next season.
  Freshman Helen Sotropa said, “I’m going to miss the seniors so much next year. It definitely won’t be the same, but we have learned from the best. I will never forget this season.”

For more information on SHS tennis, click here.