Making memories at Fine Arts Weekend

McDaniel’s Photography

Who does not love music, art, and pancakes together on a Saturday morning?

Pancake Day

On Sat., Mar. 4, the 55th annual Pancake Day will take place in the Commons from 8 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.

Pancake tickets can be bought in advance from a participating student or on that day at the door for $6, but the music entertainment is free.

Pancake Day is a one of the largest, most successful fundraisers for the band and orchestra program and is known for its pancake feature.

“Pancake Day is an outstanding opportunity for our families and community members to see the full breadth of our instrumental music program,” said Mr. James Blankenship, high school band director.

This year, a total of 14 ensembles will perform. These ensembles include nine bands, five orchestras, and approximately 900 students from grades five through 12.

“How many gallons of syrup do 11,000 pancakes take? Last year, band and orchestra parents served up 34 gallons to satisfy the palates of just over 2700 people!” according to Sycamore Band and Orchestra Boosters’ (SBOB) website.

The music groups perform several prepared pieces in front of family, friends, and visitors throughout the day.

“Additionally, it gives people the chance to see the amazing growth students achieve from a beginning band student to a graduating senior headed to college to study music,” Blankenship said.

This fundraising tradition began in 1962 and has become a significant part of the Fine Arts Festival. At first, only the high school band performed. The high school orchestra was soon added.

Later, the Junior High band and orchestras then the Greene School bands and orchestras joined in performing in the event as did the Jazz Bands.

Furthermore, Pancake Day will be especially effective for the high school bands to get ready for the upcoming Ohio Music Education Association (OMEA) competition.

Wind Symphony and the Symphonic Band will get a practice performance for the OMEA playing the same pieces in front of an audience.

The high school orchestra has recently completed their OMEA competition.

“Pancake Day is not just about pancakes; the most important part of Pancake Day is that we showcase every Sycamore band and orchestra student and the SBOB Program for our community to see,” said Mr. Lonnie Stover, Supervisor of Music.

Art Show

In addition to Pancake Day, art pieces from the entire district are put on display in the gymnasium across from the Commons.

The art will be put up for the entire Fine Arts Weekend, unlike Pancake Day.

White wall-like displays are put up in the gymnasium off of the Commons for the artworks to be displayed on.

Featured are mini houses, colorful crafts, intricate drawings, captivating photography, beautiful clothing designs, featured artwork from AP students, and the much more.

A big part of the arts showcased is the high school AP art class pieces. There is a section of the walls dedicated for each AP student to showcase their artwork.

It is probably safe to sat that AP art students display the best artistic talents in the district.

The Fine Arts Weekend is a great time for the artsy side of Sycamore to shine.