• Summer Break May 26-Aug. 16

• Last Day of School May 25

• Underclassmen Exams May 22-25

Filed under Feature

ACT now

SHS junior gets perfect score on ACT

ACHIEVEMENT. After months of tedious preparation, junior Stephanie Hong received a perfect score on the April ACT. “It’s great to see your hard work finally pay off. This accomplishment is going to save me from a lot of stress next year,” Hong said.

Yasmine Guedira

Stephanie Hong, 11, achieved one of the rarest and most prized accomplishments in high school. On the April 19 ACT, Hong got a 36, the highest score possible, on the test.

In the United States, out of 1.8 million students who take the test every year, only about 1,000 get the highest possible ACT score according to the ACT. Getting a score like this gives students a higher chance of admission into the most prestigious colleges in the Unites States.

Q: What advice would you give to people studying for the ACT?
More than anything, test prep is really important because it gets you familiar with the test and the content. I use a variety of sources to study, including books and websites. I would definitely recommend websites like Khan Academy and practice tests from the official textbook.

There are two different components to taking the test: familiarity and understanding content. Familiarity comes naturally with repeated practice. Understanding the mistakes you make is one of the most effective strategies because you are able to narrow down the mistakes you are making and gradually increase your score.

Q: What motivated you to study?
My goal score was a 34. In order to give myself the best chance for success in the competitive college admissions process, I knew that getting a high ACT score would help. Everyone wants to shoot for the highest score, so there was a lot of pressure to improve this year.

Q: What are you plans for the future?
I am still undecided on my major, but I know I want to go into something with human relations. I’m still undecided about where I want to go to school, but I am very optimistic about the future.