Students gear up for college research

Harsimran Makkad

GET READY. Last year, seniors Harsimran Makkad, Jenna Bao, and Nathan Zhang, pictured, all went to Regionals; this was also the first time a multimedia project was submitted to Regionals, which was created by senior Natalie Brinkman. Eight papers went along with Brinkman.

AP United States History (APUSH) takers are beginning their research papers. On Oct. 16, students emailed in their picks for their research paper, instead of lining up in the Hub. From there, students began researching their topic thoroughly.

The theme from the National History Day Competition is Conflict and Compromise, which is broad enough for all students to research different topics.

“I definitely think the project will be interesting, and I am excited to learn more about the topic and go more in depth than I ever have with any school project,” said Shayna Kling, 11.

The competition only allows eight to ten research papers per school to enter Regionals, a change from a few years ago when it was unlimited.

From Regionals, if students place in the top three, they can go on to State. In the past two years, SHS has taken all three places for the paper category.

Even though we have to put in the work now, I know it will be worth it.

— Shayna King, 11

“I think I will learn how to stay on top of my work with a large time span of due dates. Also, I will learn how to be proud and confident in my work because I know that lots of sweat and tears will be put into it,” Kling said.

The paper is not due until January, but there will be checks in between to make sure students are coping with the coursework. Along the way, teacher Mrs. Valerie Nimeskern will be teaching students how to write the paper.

Despite the heavy amount of work required, students are generally glad in the end because it readies them for when professors assign papers without instruction.

“Even though we have to put in the work now, I know it will be worth it when I feel prepared for writing during senior year, throughout college, and during the rest of my life,” Kling said.

For more about the competition, click here.