Swimming faces success at GMCs

Senior+Matthew+Schuetz+explodes+off+the+block+for+his+200+freestyle+on+senior+night+against+Loveland.+Schuetz+will+swim+the+100+and+200+freestyle+at+sectionals+and+districts+in+the+upcoming+weeks.+Schuetz+will+also+be+on+two+of+the+team%E2%80%99s+relays.+

Senior Matthew Schuetz explodes off the block for his 200 freestyle on senior night against Loveland. Schuetz will swim the 100 and 200 freestyle at sectionals and districts in the upcoming weeks. Schuetz will also be on two of the team’s relays.

The SHS boys’ and girls’ swimming teams traveled to Mason High School to compete in the Greater Miami Conference Championships. The championships took place on Saturday, Feb. 4. The boys placed second overall after Mason and the girls third after Mason and Lakota West.

GMC champions from SHS included sophomore Elizabeth Van Den Brink and junior Luke Tenbarge in the 100 breaststroke and 200 individual medley and senior Jiho Choi in the 100 backstroke. Additionally, sophomore Elliott Carl placed first in the 500 freestyle.

Other top finishers in the top three include:
Senior Isabelle Jimenez: second in the 100 freestyle
Senior Matthew Schuetz: second in the 100 freestyle third in the 200 freestyle
Sophomore Samuel Risma: second in the 50 freestyle
Sophomore Noah Patterson: third in the 100 butterfly

The team will now advance to the sectional championships on Sat. 10 and 11.

“I am really excited for sectionals. It is just another chance for me to improve my times and rankings moving toward the state tournament,” said Choi.

Choi is a likely qualifier for the state tournament in the 100 backstroke. He will also be a key member of some of the team’s upcoming relays.

“Because I am a senior, it is my last chance to qualify for state. I am really looking forward to it,” said Choi.

Choi, along with the team’s 12 other seniors are anticipating their last chance to show what they have trained for in the upcoming championship meets.