Smarelli takes final bow

May 25, 2017

After teaching for 35 years, of which 28 were with Sycamore, Mr. David Smarelli will be retiring from his position as the orchestra director.

“First and foremost, I will miss the students. I will miss making wonderful music everyday. I will miss the professionals that I work with. I truly enjoy the camaraderie and friendship I share with all the music teachers I work with. I will miss the daily laughs and stories we share,” Smarelli said.

He currently teaches at all schools that offer the orchestra program, meaning he teaches grades five through twelve. Under his wing the program has soared, with the Junior High receiving a superior rating at the OMEA (Ohio Musical Education Association) adjudicated event 22 times and the SHS orchestra receiving a superior 23 times.

Along with these ratings, both the Junior High and the high school have performed at the OMEA Professional Conference a multitude of times.

McDaniel’s Photography
CONDUCT. After 35 years of teaching, Mr. David Smarelli will be retiring. The orchestra program has flourished under his leadership but will hopefully still stay at its high level in the years to come. “Last year my Junior High orchestra was featured at the 2016 OMEA Professional Conference. That is a good way to end a music teaching career!” Smarelli said.

Because of his amazing ability to handle the orchestra program, Smarelli was named Ohio Strings Teachers Association “Public School Orchestra Teacher of the Year” in 2007, and he was featured in “School Band and Orchestra” December 2007 issue as the representative for Ohio for the annual “50 Directors Who Make a Difference.”

As another great achievement, Smarelli formed the Sycamore Electric Ensemble, SEE1, which was Cincinnati’s first high school rock orchestra.

“I’m sad that he’s retiring, considering that he has been my orchestra teacher for the past 6 years, but I am interested to see what the new orchestra teacher will be like,” said Alex Jowanavitz, 10.

Since Smarelli teaches all grades outside of elementary, his retirement will impact many, and his professionalism will be missed by anyone who has been in his class or seen him conduct his many orchestras.

“We are all very saddened to see Mrs. Smarelli retire. He is a great educator, musician, mentor, colleague, and person. He has left a positive impact on Sycamore, his fellow teachers, and thousands of students during his teaching career, and this impact and legacy will live on as the Sycamore Orchestra program moves into this new movement.

“We are very grateful to Mr. Smarelli for what he has given Sycamore over the years and we will miss him greatly,” said Mr. Lonnie Stover, Head of the Music Department.

In conclusion, following this year, Smarelli will be greatly missed. He has touched the lives of many and has helped the orchestra reach the level it is at now.

The Leaf • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in