‘Art is not what you see, but what you make others see’ – Edgar Degas, French artist

Artists tour exhibits featuring clowns, identity, global awareness

Harsimran Makkad

COLOR. Student in the AP Art classes walk through Rondinone’s artwork. They toured the CAC and 21C for three hours on August 19. “I hope to provide [the art students] with as many opportunities to go out and see art as possible,” Ferguson said.

The school year has just begun, but already students in the AP art classes went on a field trip, touring the Contemporary Arts Center (CAC) and 21C, a museum hotel, on August 19.

“I want [them] to go out and see as much art as [they] can in person. It is a different experience actually seeing it versus looking at pictures,” said Mrs. Kathy Ferguson, art teacher.

The highlight of the tour was a massive two-story work done by mixed-media artist Ugo Rondinone called “let’s start this day again.” It featured clowns, both male and female, of different body types and ages  in various poses across the floor.

The walls and floors, even the ceilings, were painted in bright neon colors.

“It’s like you’re walking in the middle of a painting. Each of the clowns are so detailed, down to the hands and the feet, but….then he covers it all up. This is truly referring to identity,” said Mary Sue Markey, tour guide.

Pullquote Photo

Mary Sue Markey

— We focus on how others see us, so we all put on masks; we cover up our true selves.

The students also toured works painted by the Nigerian artist Njideka Akunyili Crosby as well as an exhibit called “Half-Truths,” which was created by artist Jane Benson. Both artists’ pieces spoke about identity and how people express their true selves.

“My favorite part was the exhibit with different instruments balancing on top of each other. I could actually see the artist’s message through her art.

“It was amazing how she conveyed that two cultures can coexist in such a beautiful way when the news only tells us how we clash,” said Lavanya Konda, 12.

Afterwards, they walked next door to the museum hotel 21C, which featured pieces that focused on global awareness and global identity.

“Think about it: when you all got up today and got ready…, how many of you worried about how you look. Does this dress look okay? Is it showing off my figure? What about my makeup?

“We focus on how others see us, so we all put on masks; we cover up our true selves. That’s what [these pieces] are showing,” Markey said.

Highlights included a glass case filled with numerous camels of all shapes and sizes and a dark room that displayed the fall of civilizations.

The art students’ first assignments will be based on the works of Rondinone that they saw.