• Band Concert Dec.12, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.

• Choir Concert Dec. 7, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.

• Orchestra Concert at Junior High Dec. 6, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.

• No School Nov. 22-24 - Thanksgiving Break

Irma continues breaking records

TOO MUCH. Hurricane Irma leaves behind devastation. It has already heavily damaged some Caribbean islands, devastating Barbuda and tearing through Anguilla.  Barbuda is “uninhabitable” and in a “total blackout” with almost all of its infrastructure destroyed, according to Michael Joseph, president of the Red Cross in Antigua and Barbuda.

TOO MUCH. Hurricane Irma leaves behind devastation. It has already heavily damaged some Caribbean islands, devastating Barbuda and tearing through Anguilla. Barbuda is “uninhabitable” and in a “total blackout” with almost all of its infrastructure destroyed, according to Michael Joseph, president of the Red Cross in Antigua and Barbuda.

MCT Photo

MCT Photo

• First storm in recorded history to maintain top winds of 185 mph for 37 hours straight. “[It’s the] longest any cyclone around the globe has maintained that intensity on record. The previous record was [Typhoon] Haiyan in the [Northwest] Pacific at 24 hours,” tweeted Phil Klotzbach, meteorologist for Colorado State University.
  • Strongest storm on record to exist in the Atlantic. Hurricane Irma has had a maximum speed of 185 mph, a first for storms in the Atlantic, which is more prone to cyclones due to the warmer waters in the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico.
  • Tied with the 1932 Cuba hurricane for the longest time spent as a Category 5 hurricane.
  • Lowest minimum pressure of an Atlantic hurricane on record. Scientists have found that the lower the pressure a storm has, the stronger the storm tends to be. Irma had a pressure of 915 millibars.
  • First time in recorded history that two hurricanes with winds of at least 150 mph were in the Atlantic at the same time. On Sat., Sept. 9, Hurricanes Irma and Jose churned through the Atlantic at the same time.
  • First time on record that two Category 4 storms made landfall in the U.S. in the same year.
  • Most hurricane days. As of early Sunday, Irma has clocked in 10.75 hurricane days, the most days of a tropical storm since Ike in 2008, which was ten hurricane days long.
  • Most Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) generated in a 24-hour period. ACE is another way scientists measure a hurricane season using the combined wind energy a storm produces during a set time period. Irma broke the old record set by Hurricane Allen in 1980.

• Irma continues breaking records

National/International

Trump Administration decision revokes residency

• Irma continues breaking records

National/International

‘Food allergies on the rise’

• Irma continues breaking records

National/International

Women demand voices be heard

• Irma continues breaking records

National/International

‘Racist Dove ad’ taken out of context

• Irma continues breaking records

National/International

Saudi Arabia drives in new direction

• Irma continues breaking records

National/International

Enforced gender roles lead to dire consequences

• Irma continues breaking records

National/International

Helping hurricane victims

• Irma continues breaking records

National/International

‘Hollywood is racist’

• Irma continues breaking records

National/International

Concern for coast mounts as two storms swirl in the Atlantic

• Irma continues breaking records

National/International

Forests going up in flames

Irma continues breaking records