Students translate out of class

Allyson Bonhaus

DECORATE. Mr. Sean Minion’s SHS classroom is revamped this year, with many new decorations added. Some of the additions to the room were made by students. “Considering our tremendous growth in just one year, I’m anticipating even greater accomplishments and experiences for this year,” said Carolyn Zhang, 11.

Whether it is summer break or the weekend, peers work together to create a Latin speaking community. The National Junior Classical League (NJCL) hosts a convention during summer break.

NJCL tries to encourage knowledge about the classical cultures of the Greeks and Romans and then apply them to today. Every year there is a new theme that school groups try to represent with their costumes, props, etc.

“We are hoping to expand our Latin program slowly but steadily, and we’ve really seen an increase in interest. The classes are filling up, and there will soon be more AP students than we had last year which is beyond exciting,” said former co-president Carolyn Zhang, 11.

In addition, students have the opportunity on one Saturday of each month to go to a college in Ohio to participate in a certamen match. No student that comes has to have a knowledge of Latin for the club or conventions, but a baseline of history or mythology makes it more enjoyable.

Under second-year teacher Mr. Sean Minion, the Latin program is trying to be even more involved in the community. Events and club dates are regularly scheduled. Latin Club meets on Thursdays or Fridays; they are subject to change, but the next date is always posted in Minion’s room.

“We’ll be branching off on a lot of our previous club activities this year…we’ll be able to organize bigger and more frequent events while still sticking to certamen competitions, which is basically the club’s foundation,” Zhang said.

During the club, students generally compete in group against each other in certamen, which tests knowledge in the mechanics of the Latin language, mythology, history as well as miscellaneous related material.

“All the underclassmen seem so excited and passionate about club activities and that makes me proud as a former consul (president) of the club,” Zhang said.

For more on Latin Conventions, click here.