NHS starts planning upcoming canning

This is a sign directly outside of the National Honor Society’s Sponsor Valerie Nimeskern’s room. Nimeskern’s room is where the Nation Honor Society meets to organize fundraisers like The Canned Food Drive. Planning the Canned Food Drive has already begun.
This is a sign directly outside of the National Honor Society’s sponsor Valerie Nimeskern’s room. Nimeskern’s room is where National Honor Society officers meets to organize fundraisers like the Canned Food Drive. Planning the Canned Food Drive has already begun. Photo courtesy of  Jack Loon.

The National Honor Society is sponsoring the annual December Canned Food Drive this year. The drive will be supporting Free Store Food Bank, for the poor of Cincinnati. The success of the drive has decreased every year, according to director Valerie Nimeskern.

“Less and less students are getting involved,” said Nimeskern. “One of our main goals is to get more students involved with the drive.” For more on this year’s food drive, here is a Q&A with Nimeskern:

Q: How successful was the canned food drive last year?

A: Always successful. We always get at least six barrels of food, but we are hoping for more.

Q: Where is the fundraiser located?

A: At SHS. Throughout the building.

Q: What is your favorite part of the fundraiser?

A: Being able to give back to the community, giving to those in need, and seeing students working hard to help our community.

The 2013 Canned Food Drive begins on Dec. 9, and ends on Dec. 13.