Varsity football falters at Colerain

Sixteen years ago was the last time the football team has beaten Colerain. On Oct. 11, it was no different.  Colerain handed it to our beloved football team.

The football team is destined for the playoffs for a third straight year. There are three games remaining on the team’s schedule. The final game of the season is against the Mason Comets on Nov. 1.
The football team is destined for the playoffs for a third straight year. There are three games remaining on the team’s schedule. The final game of the season is against the Mason Comets on Nov. 1. Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography.

At halftime Colerain was only winning 26 to nine. Colerain Quarterback, Kelvin Cook, took over for the Cardinals. Throughout the whole game, he threw for 40 yards and rushed the ball 14 times amounting to 171 yards.

“I am not going to lie, it was rather depressing watching the football team, I am glad toward the end [we] started scoring but other than that they played rather awful,” said Caleb Ferrell, 11.

The SHS football team was obviously struggling and it undoubtedly showed. By the end of the third quarter, the score was 40 to nine. The halftime adjustments were not made correctly by the team.

The fourth quarter started on a positive note when the team’s quarterback, Greg Simpson, ran into the end zone once in the beginning of the fourth quarter and once at the end of the game.

“I followed the whole game on twitter even though I could not make the journey to Colerain’s stadium,” said Adam Dock, 11.

Colerain was kept out of the end zone in the fourth quarter and our team put up 14 points to bring the game a bit closer but still out of reach and lost by a final score of 40 to 22.

Colerain is a very good football team, ranked 30th in the United States and third in Ohio. They have a record of seven and zero and they are number one in the GMCs.

“The fact that the team put up 22 points against one of the best teams in the country is something to say, I believe that with some minor changes, they will do well in the postseason,” said Grant Price, 12.

The SHS football team has three games remaining in its schedule. On Oct. 18, the team travels to Fairfield to take on the Indians and then the last home game of the season is against Lakota East on Oct. 25.

The last game of the season is against the Mason Comets which is known as the “Battle of the Skies.” It will take place on Nov.1. The team’s playoff hopes are still alive as wells as the GMC title.