Winter sports season ready to start up

The boys’ varsity basketball team after the season. On the sides are the coaches of the team. The varsity went 9-5 last year. Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s photography.
The boys’ varsity basketball team after the season. The varsity went 9-5 last year. Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s photography.

As the winter season begins to start up again, teams are preparing to work their absolute best to win trophies in the GMCs. Going into the winter sports season Mason is currently in first place overall.

“We are getting ready for the winter sports season and ready to have an amazing year,” said Ted Vlady, 10.

In the All Sports Trophy Mason has 86 points, Lakota West has 64 points, and SHS has 63. The sports involved in the winter season include academic team, chess team, basketball, bowling, swimming, and wrestling

The power sports going into the winter season are the academic quiz team and the boys swimming team.  Both of those teams won awards last year in the 2012-2013 season.

“I hope we can continue to dominate like we did last year, ”said Tyler Miller, 10

Others sports that are looking to improve are boys’ basketball that had nine wins and five loses last year. The girls’ basketball had eight wins and six loses. In wrestling SHS was in the top ten for each weight class.
Girls swimming had finishers in the top five in each of the events that is in swimming. The boys bowling team had three wins and six loses. The chess had fourteen wins; 2 loses, and 0 ties.

All the winter sports teams are either trying to improve or are trying to remain as good as last year.  Currently winter athletes are conditioning and getting ready for the season to start.

“I know this year we are going to improve on our record and hopefully win a trophy at the GMCs,” said Lucas McCutcheon, 10.