ACE bell makes alterations

February 12, 2016

MCT Photo

Each day, in an attempt to make students read more, SHS has implemented an ACE bell, where students are required to read for 30 minutes a day. Many students created a petition in opposition to this bell. Sophomore Rishav Dasgupta said, “Although I agree that reading is extremely important and is something the young generations needs to do a lot more of, the overwhelming consensus of the student body is that 30 minutes a day would be much more valuable if kids could use it to work on projects, meet with teachers, or simply get ahead with their schoolwork.”

For months, students have spoken out about the faulty problems of the ACE bell introduced this year. Even petitions have been signed on change.org in an attempt to get rid of or alter ACE bell.

Sophomore Rishav Dasgupta said, “Although I agree that reading is extremely important and is something the young generations needs to do a lot more of, the overwhelming consensus of the student body is that 30 minutes a day would be much more valuable if kids could use it to work on projects, meet with teachers, or simply get ahead with their schoolwork.”

By signing the petition, students hoped to do something about the much hated ACE bell. A whopping 635 students signed the petition.

On Mon., Jan. 25, new changes have finally been made, as Wednesdays have been changed to a “collaboration day” for visiting teachers, making up tests, and asking questions for help.

Dasgupta said, “I really like the idea of a collaboration bell, and it seems like that’s what ACE bell should have been about in the first place.”

Although these changes have been made, the other days of the week has not been altered, and students are still required to read.

Dasgupta said, “I’d like to see the changes be applied to two or three days out of the week until it gradually evolves to the point that we get rid of the old ACE completely.”

The Leaf • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in