Opinions about retiring Latin instructor

Asking students in Magister Torlone's Latin IV class

April 29, 2016

Harsimran Makkad

Students in Latin IV enjoy Magister Torlone’s class. They learn through various activities and games. All of them will miss Torlone when he retires at the end of this year.

Q: How do you feel about Magister Torlone‘s retirement?

A: “I was so sad to hear of Mr. Torlone’s retirement. He is one of my favorite teachers; you can tell that he wants to get to know all of his students.” –Adhiti Chundur, 10

“He is one of the nicest teachers ever. He’s really cool, sarcastic, and funny. I’m sad to see him go.” –John Folz, 10

Q: Describe Magister Torlone.

A: “Mr. Torlone is always a fun teacher; he’s crazy and has so many inside jokes. I keep having fun whenever I am in his class. His games and activities, like Toga Twister, add enjoyment to the curriculum; like the time he told me to go outside the classroom wearing Roman armor and then charge in. Now that he is leaving, Latin will no longer be as fun; in fact, lots of people are dropping out of Latin next year because he won’t be here.” –Ethan Main, 10

“He’s fun and informative at the same time. Latin is my favorite bell in the whole day; his leaving is such a great loss to Sycamore.” –Luke Tenbarge, 10

“Mr. Torlone is such a great teacher. He makes education fun. His class is not a normal classroom setting; he always brings humor into his teaching and has these cool tricks to remember certain things we learn. He definitely makes Latin enjoyable. I am sad and shocked about his retirement, but I am also happy for him; it’s time for a new chapter. I’m also scared about the new teacher.” –Anita Pan, 10

“Magister is the funniest teacher I have ever had. His class is always enjoyable. He always has intelligent jokes that make everyone laugh. He has taught me so much about Latin and life in general.” –Grant Fisher, 9

“He is very interactive and has an extremely unique teaching style, always making sure that we are learning and enjoying the experience; he makes learning such a complicated language easy.” –Carolyn Zhang, 9

Q: Anything else you would like to say?

“Ever since 7th grade, I’ve noticed that his teaching style is extremely unique. In [Magister’s] class, you get to learn and have fun at the same time. I’ve learned so much from him. We’ll all miss him.” –Abhilash Yarlagadda, 9

“The school and his Latin classes here and at the Junior High will miss him. Mr. Torlone extends the scope of the curriculum outside of the classroom; we learn so much – not only Latin but about social issues today and back then. His classes are more interesting than your typical global language class.” –Rishav Dasgupta, 10

The Leaf • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in