Young students engage in physics

December 13, 2016

“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eterninty, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality.

“It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day,” wrote Albert Einstein, famous theoretical physicist, in Old Man’s Advice to Youth: Never Lose a Holy Curiosity.

Curiosity was ceraily fostered on Dec. 5 and 9, when second graders from Symmes Elementary came to the high school to learn more about physics.

“I thought this would be a fun way to allow the students to showcase what they know. You don’t know something well until you can teach it.

“It’s a whole new ballgame when you’re teaching little kids,” said physics teacher Mrs. Julie Haverkos, who organized the event with second grade teacher Mr. Steve Reinke.

Students in Haverkos’s three Accelerated Physics classes were involved in the evnt. They split themselves between the two days, setting up various stations for the second graders to travel between.

Each station taught a different concept in a fun way.

“I had so much fun! My favorite part was when we got to pull each other on scooters across the hallway and back. There was so much that we could do!” said Kiran Makkad, 2.

The purpose behind the event was to teach the second graders about physics as well as reinforce what they had already learned in school.

“We learned about a lot of new things like attraction and repulsion. It was also fun to see what we learned in class in real life games,” Makkad said.

The students enjoyed the experience as well.

“I’m glad that we had the opportunity to interact with the second graders. They have such fresh insight that is different from what we’re used to,” said Lauren Ma, 11.

The Leaf • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in