Jeremey McDaniel.

PART OF YOUR WORLD. Recently, the wonderful theatre program at SHS put together the COVID-19 friendly version of The Little Mermaid Jr in a makeshift outdoor theater. Bringing the classic film to our very own backyard, this show tells a story about reaching for your dreams and never giving up. While it may have been a bit more of a struggle for students to perform this year, the show certainly did not lose any value due to coronavirus restrictions—the show was a blast, full of outdoor excitement and props.

Part of your COVID-19 Friendly World

Recapping the 2021 performance of The Little Mermaid Jr.

May 25, 2021

• PART OF YOUR WORLD. Recently, the wonderful theatre program at SHS put together the COVID-19 friendly version of The Little Mermaid Jr in a makeshift outdoor theater. Bringing the classic film to our very own backyard, this show tells a story about reaching for your dreams and never giving up. While it may have been a bit more of a struggle for students to perform this year, the show certainly did not lose any value due to coronavirus restrictions—the show was a blast, full of outdoor excitement and props.

'
  • AHOY! Senior Jake Jervis performs as Prince Eric on a boat with other sea crew in the show. Sea crew, including sophomore Jude Whalen, search for land on an impressive makeshift ship.

'
  • APPLAUSE. Sophomore Claire Dillon performs as Scuttle, while senior Morgan Evans, playing the role of Ariel, applauds in the back. According to fellow castmate Julia Zinnebaur, the sophomore who played Flounder, “The community of The Little Mermaid Jr. was all very positive and everyone lifted each other up in a way that was super supportive and sweet”. This can really be shown through the way the fellow castmates support each other.

'
  • MERMAIDS. Freshmen Sabine Huhn and Celia Shafer, and sophomore Maya Madden perform with colorful costumes as the Mer-sisters. The mer-sisters are Ariel’s siblings in the show and have lots of personality. These performers really encapture the true spirit of these sisters.

'
  • LAND HO! Whalen steers a ship with the crew and Jervis, acting as Prince Eric. The others on the boat clutch on, as the ocean rocks the boat.

'
  • SISTERS. Freshmen Alice Pooley, Shafer, Huhn, Madden, junior Karissa Collins, and senior Kaila Powers pose as mer-Sisters in the performance. Despite Covid getting in the way, this show still managed to thrive with a large group of people. “It was definitely hard to try to get around with Covid protocols, especially with it being outside, but our team was very determined to make it happen and I think it went really well!” Zinnebaur says, when asked about how Covid affected the show.

'
  • SEA CREATURES. Shomo, acting as Sebastian, and other sea creatures including freshman Annalise Vanover, pose during the performance. “I am so proud of everyone who worked on ‘The Little Mermaid’ and I am very happy to have had this as my first SHS theatre production!” Vanover said.

'
  • DINGLEHOPPER! In this number, the audience gets the pleasure of hearing Dillon sing her heart out as Scuttle the bird. “My favorite part of doing this show, especially during Covid was getting to have two casts,” Dillon says. “It really gave a chance for people to collaborate while still making their characters unique, and it’s really fun how that worked out.”

'
  • KISS THE GIRL. Morgan Evans performs as Ariel in Sycamore High School’s The Little Mermaid Jr. With a blue outfit decked out with a mermaid’s tail, Evans both looks and acts as wonderful as the cinematic version.

'

The Leaf • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to The Leaf
$0
$750
Contributed
Our Goal