A Variety of Talents

Recapping SHS's 2021 Variety Show

November 22, 2021

Seniors Peyton Hines, Julie Fort, Belle Scholles, and Kelly Donovan, and juniors Morgan Robbins and Maria Shomo lined up in performance and sang an amazing rendition of the song “Ex-wives” during the Variety Show. Shomo, one of the ex-wives, said, “I had such a fun time working with my friends and creating our performance together and watching everyone else kill their own unique acts both nights!”  Photos via Claire Berlier

This past Friday and Saturday, SHS students showed off all sorts of talent at the annual Variety Show. Led through the night by host Mr. Ben Tilton, students performed unique acts, ranging from original songs to piano to dance to improv to band.

The opening performance of both nights was the “Disney Spectacular” by the SHS Choral Program, a medley of songs spanning Disney’s history. Students sang and danced and brought the audience along on a magical performance. 

One of the acts from the Saturday show was The Ukeladies. Karissa Collins, 12, and Julia Zinnbauer, 11, performed an original song written by Collins, featuring pleasant ukulele strumming and sweet singing.   

Zinnbauer said, “I absolutely loved doing the variety show for my third time! Karissa and I have done our duo, The Ukeladies, for three years now and we have so much fun. My favorite part of the night was when Mr. Tilton roasted me in front of the whole crowd and I talked with my mouth closed for them.” Zinnbauer is referring to when Tilton introduced Zinnbauer and Collins by sharing fun facts they submitted about themselves before the show. Zinnbauer wrote that she could talk with her mouth closed and Tilton jovially said that Zinnbauers’ mouth is rarely closed and encouraged her to show off her trick to the audience. Zinnbauer did and received an eruption of applause from the crowd. 

Collins performed both Friday and Saturday night and said, “Doing the variety show is always a blast and I have fun doing it every year. This one was my last and the most memorable part about it was definitely singing ‘For Good’ with my best friend Annamarie [Jowanovitz, 12]. It’s a song that we’ve always held close to our hearts and means a lot to both of us and it was a huge honor getting to finally sing it with her onstage.” They performed ‘For Good’ in Friday’s show. 

As for the song she wrote and performed with Zinnbauer on Saturday, she described the writing process. “It usually hits me really late at night and I get a brain itch and I just have to write a song. It often starts out as a poem and then I give it a melody and I almost always take multiple days to finish one. ‘Hit Pause’ is definitely one of my favorites and one that I’m most proud of so I was really excited to get to perform it for the first time ever in the Variety Show,” Collins said. 

Another performance featured six girls singing a song from the musical “Six”. Seniors Peyton Hines, Julie Fort, Belle Scholles, and Kelly Donovan, and juniors Morgan Robbins and Maria Shomo lined up in performance and sang an amazing rendition of the song “Ex-wives”. Shomo, one of the ex-wives, said, “I had such a fun time working with my friends and creating our performance together and watching everyone else kill their own unique acts  both nights!” 

The final act of the Saturday night show was by the Sycamore Pep Band. Members of the band include seniors AJ Matson and Preston Myers and juniors Aiden Kemmeter, Max Honerlaw, Jacob Hixon, and Austin Bengal. They ended the night with fun rock songs, leaving the audience jamming the rest of the night. 

Ready, Set, Sew!

Designs from Fashion for the Cure 2022

++++This+year+SHS+Fashion+for+the+Cure+raised+%2459%2C000+dollars+for+The+Dragonfly+Foundation.+All+this+money+is+in+support+of+families+whose+kids+are+battling+cancer.+FFTC+is+an+annual+event+that+brings+together+our+entire+Sycamore+community+in+appreciating+the+artistry+and+skill+of+its+students%2C+all+while+supporting+a+good+cause.+It+is+one+of+a+kind+and+finds+its+way+into+peoples+lives+year+after+year.+A+week+after+the+2020+fashion+show+COVID-19+took+hold+and+FFTC+was+unfortunately+not+able+to+be+held+in+2021.+However%2C+this+setback+only+further+motivated+the+committee%2C+designers%2C+volunteers%2C+and+others+this+year+to+work+hard+to+come+out+with+a+bang+for+the+2022+show.+So%2C+that+is+exactly+what+happened.+%0A%0A+++Featured+are+some+notable+designers+and+their+collections+from+the+show+on+February+18%2C+2022.+

McDaniel's Photography

This year SHS Fashion for the Cure raised $59,000 dollars for The Dragonfly Foundation. All this money is in support of families whose kids are battling cancer. FFTC is an annual event that brings together our entire Sycamore community in appreciating the artistry and skill of its students, all while supporting a good cause. It is one of a kind and finds its way into people’s lives year after year. A week after the 2020 fashion show COVID-19 took hold and FFTC was unfortunately not able to be held in 2021. However, this setback only further motivated the committee, designers, volunteers, and others this year to work hard to come out with a bang for the 2022 show. So, that is exactly what happened. Featured are some notable designers and their collections from the show on February 18, 2022.

The Leaf • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in