Winter Wellness

How to Work Your Way Through the Upcoming Seasonal Change
Winter+Wellness

It’s a nice November day, and as you walk out of your car in the morning to walk into school, you realize that you have goosebumps on your arms and your body is shivering. Then, you look around and there is frost on the grass. It’s no longer fall with perfect weather; and now, winter has begun. 

This season change comes with some exciting things such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. In spite of all these upcoming fun holidays, this change typically corresponds with the hardest time of the year for many people. It genuinely feels like a switch in your brain that causes your mood to dwindle and the energy in your body to run out when it gets cold outside. Well actually, this is exactly what happens. First, we experience daylight savings on November 5. You walk out of your sports practice or work, and before you’ve even eaten dinner, the sun is setting at 5:30. In a study done by John Hopkins Medicine, this, along with less sunlight and cold weather, is linked to a chemical change in the brain as well as producing more melatonin in your body which causes you to be sleepy. So yes, seasonal depression (often known as SAD: Seasonal Affective Disorder) is not just a random reaction that is occuring in your body, it is a real thing. 

Don’t fret though, there is a proactive way to navigate through these mental health challenges and continue to feel the joyous and exciting parts of winter. Seasonal depression is often linked to a disruption in the normal amount of sunlight your body is used to consuming. Your body has an internal clock, which relates to how it is used to functioning. With that being said, when there is a sudden change to your clock, your body does not receive as much serotonin, a neurotransmitter that generally creates a long-lasting feeling of happiness. This is why your first step in overcoming SAD is spending as much time in the sun as possible. It is easy to let this initial change in your body cause you to bundle up in your room, and not have enough energy to be productive. As soon as you overcome this part and spend more time outside though, you will notice a change in your mood and well-being. 

A beneficial part of winter is the myriad of winter specific activities you can participate in.. Your second step in combating seasonal depression is engaging in regular physical activity, which is proven to boost your mood and reduce your symptoms of depression. Specifically, winter sports such as skiing, snowboarding, and even ice skating can help you make the most of the season and try something new! Luckily for us, Perfect North is a short 45 minute drive away and it’s something many people look forward to opening each year, being another reason to be optimistic about winter. Along with exercise, it is important to make sure you maintain a balanced, nutritious diet throughout the winter to help support your body.  With a combination of both of these things, your experience in the winter will definitely improve. 

Finally, focus on the social aspect of your life. The holidays can be a hard time of the year for many people, specifically anyone dealing with a recent loss, but it is also a time to not take for granted the people you have in your life. A way to combat feelings of isolation in the winter time is to spend more time with friends and family. Not only will this help you strip away the feeling of loneliness, it can also help you build better relationships and is a way to keep yourself busy. There are so many fun activities to do in the winter, so plan accordingly and let yourself have fun this season. 

The winter months may present a few challenges in your life, but it is important to maintain a positive attitude and following these few steps can make a significant difference in your life. Navigate the season with resilience and embrace the positive aspects of this unique time of the year.