Mock Trial releases audition information

21 students auditioned for the available positions in Mock Trial on Mon. Sept. 21. Only eight attorneys and eight witnesses were selected.

The adults responsible for making this decision are Mr. Andrew Ostendorf, social studies supervisor, and three other legal advisors.

Mock Trial is a competitive program that gives students some experience with the legal system.

“Every year, two or more teams, consisting of eight to eleven students, are chosen with four attorneys and four witnesses per team,” freshman Adam Meller said.

These teams are given a court case with all the necessary information. With the help of legal advisors, both prosecution and defense cases are prepared for the regional competition toward the end of January.

For the auditions, students were asked to prepare a two minute oral argument on a controversial topic. Then, follow-up questions were asked based on the presentation.

“We are looking for students who are organized, confident and can think on their feet,” Ostendorf said.

Overall, the opinions of the auditions were positive.

“The audition went better than I thought it would be. But I was so nervous that I shook the entire time,” freshman Lily Steward said.

Selections will be posted at a later date that is not yet announced. More information about Mock Trial competitions can be found on the state website.