Natural disaster shakes Philippines

Buildings toppled and people panicked on Oct. 15 when an earthquake hit Carmen, a small town on the island of Bohol. The high magnitude caused islands throughout the central Philippines to feel the effect.

The chart displays the amount of earthquakes each year in relation to their magnitude and energy equivalents. At a magnitude of 7.2, the destructive earthquake in the Philippines was close to the same energy level as the Mount St. Helens eruption. Not many earthquakes each year have such an intense effect. Image by Atiya Dosani
The chart displays the amount of earthquakes each year in relation to their magnitude and energy equivalents. At a magnitude of 7.2, the destructive earthquake in the Philippines was close to the same energy level as the Mount St. Helens eruption. Not many earthquakes each year have such an intense effect. Image by Atiya Dosani.

“A magnitude 7 earthquake has an energy equivalent to around 32 Hiroshima atomic bombs. This one had a magnitude of 7.2,” said Renato Solidum, director of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, to The New York Times.

Around 291 people have been injured and at least 144 are dead. These numbers are rising as more people are being found.

“I can’t imagine what it would be like to experience such a massive earthquake and have your entire city be destroyed, said Sneha Rajagopal, 11.

Cracked roads, fallen bridges, and damaged buildings have all resulted from this disaster. Founded in 1565, the Santo Niño de Cebu Basilicam was damaged, and the Church of San Pedro from 1602 in Loboc collapsed.

“It’s sad that buildings were destroyed, but it’s especially sad that historic landmarks were destroyed,” said Rajagopal.