Girls Varsity Gold Tennis serves up success

McDaniel’s Photography

Abele is a qualifier for the state tournament her junior year and was a qualifier both her freshman and sophomore year. She is focused both as a doubles player and as a singles player. She has accomplished many things as a junior.

The atmosphere is tense as juniors Alexandra Abele and Margaret Skwara hit their shots across the tennis courts. The supporters of the Girls Varsity Gold Tennis team erupt into cheers as both players have qualified for the district tournament.

“Last year I played doubles with Maggie, but this year we are each playing singles. It was awesome to get state runner-up last year and I can’t wait to see what this year will bring me and the team,” Abele said.

The sectionals tournament is a tournament played with schools all around the area, and those who reach the semi-finals round qualify for districts. Those who then reach the semifinals for districts qualify for state.

“I think it helps when my team and I show a lot of spirit and passion when anyone plays. Alexa and I qualified for state last year in doubles so it would be cool for each of us to qualify for state in singles this year,” Skwara said.

The tennis team has not only succeeded in the sectional tournament but other tournaments as well. For the city-wide Coaches’ Classic tournament the team took home second place. They also came in first for the Greater Miami Conference (GMC).

“I think that this season has been one of our bests. Even with some disappointments and injuries, we were still able to achieve many great things,” senior Jamie Pescovitz said.