Water Polo shoots for states

Junior+Hannah+Kast+plays+defense+against+an+opponent+from+Milford+High+School.+Kast+was+a+part+of+the+2012+and+2013+water+polo+teams+at+SHS+who+both+got+second+in+the+state.+She+always+plays+for+the+club+team+Moose+Water+Polo.+

McDaniel's Photography

Junior Hannah Kast plays defense against an opponent from Milford High School. Kast was a part of the 2012 and 2013 water polo teams at SHS who both got second in the state. She always plays for the club team Moose Water Polo.

The Girls Water Polo state championship tournament will be held on Fri. Oct. 17 and Sat. Oct. 18 at Mason High School. The team will play one game on Fri. and if they win that game they will continue on in the tournament.

“It’s kind of nerve racking because if we lose the first game we are out of the tournament. We need to make sure that we are ready to play and that we do not underestimate any of the teams that we are going to play,” junior Hannah Schwegmann said.

The first game will be against the winner of the fourth game. The fourth game is between Kilborne High School and Sylvania High School. The game between that winner and SHS is scheduled to play at 7:45 p.m.

If the team wins the game against Kilborne they will move on to play the winner of the game between Napolean High School and Mason High School. The team has played Napolean three times so far this season. They have tied them once, lost once and won once.

“Most likely Napolean will beat Mason but you never know what can happen. It will be a tough game no matter what. Especially against Napolean because our teams are really evenly matched,” junior Jory Gould said.

Napolean is ranked second going into the state tournament and SHS is ranked third. The first ranked team is Upper Arlington.

If SHS wins against Napolean then they will go on to play in the state championships. In that game they will most likely play either Upper Arlington High School or Milford High School.

The team has beaten Milford once out of the four times they have played them. They have never defeated Upper Arlington.

“I hope that we get the chance to play in the state game. No matter who we end up playing it is going to be a difficult game and we need to make sure that we bring our best,” Schwegmann said.

For more up to date information on Ohio water polo click here.