SHS partakes in annual PSAT examination

Juniors+at+SHS+prepare+for+a+150+minute+test.+These+scores+are+important+in+qualifying+for+the+National+Merit+Scholarship.+This+year%2C+the+school+had+23+students+qualify.++

Doug Mader

Juniors at SHS prepare for a 150 minute test. These scores are important in qualifying for the National Merit Scholarship. This year, the school had 23 students qualify.

As students fill the gym and cafeteria, students prepared to take the PSAT on Oct. 15. Over 527 sophomores and juniors (plus one freshman) missed all bells up until lunch.

“I’m a little bit nervous, obviously, but hopefully the little studying I did will be enough for me to do well,” junior Alex Taylor said.

The PSAT, according to many students, is easy, so they do not study for it. However, the average student does not do so well on it.

According to collegeboard.org in 2013, out of the total possible 240 points, the average junior score was 142.8. The average sophomore score was 128.5.

Although some students may not study for the PSAT because they feel that it is too easy, according to studypoint.com, the results paint a different picture. Of the about 1.5 million juniors who take the PSAT each year, approximately 50,000 juniors receive national merits.

“I would recommend studying for the PSAT before the day of the test, even if that means just going through a couple of practice sections. You definitely feel a sense of confidence that wouldn’t be there if you hadn’t studied,” senior Nakul Narendran said.

Narendran was among the 23 students from SHS designated as a National Merit Semifinalist, surpassing any other school in the state of Ohio.

SHS has had a successful history in regard to the PSAT, and it is expected that the 2016 class will also excel.

For more information on the PSAT, visit the College Board website.