Students work polls on Election Day

Voters arrive at the polling station as soon as voting opened at 6:30 a.m. People continued coming throughout the day up until closing. SHS students helped sign people in, check identification, and hand out ballots. Photo courtesy of Atiya Dosani

Through government class, students had the opportunity to spend Election Day working the polls.

“I decided to work the polls because we get extra credit and also paid for the work,” said senior Megan Jiang.

Each poll worker attended a three hour training class in which they learned the proper procedure for the day.

Then, the night before the election, they attended an organizational meeting to set up any necessary equipment.

All poll workers reported to their assigned precinct on Nov. 4 at 6:30 a.m. and remained there all day. The polls closed at 7:30 p.m. after which all poll workers counted ballots, put away equipment, and cleaned up.

“It was a really long and tiring day. However, I am glad that I will end up getting paid for it,” said Jiang.

Each student that worked the polls can also get extra credit points for writing a short reflection about the day.

For more information on poll working, click here.