Credit flex creates opportunities: unique experiences prove beneficial

Mitchel Bie, ‘13 studies to get his private pilot’s license. Through credit flex, he used the process of getting this license and everything he learned from the experience to get credit for a unique course he created. Bie will go to the Airforce Academy next year. He had been interested in aviation his whole life, and now, after being exposed through his gaining of a private license, will pursue the goal further in his years in the Airforce.
Mitchel Bie, ‘13 studies to get his private pilot’s license. Through credit flex, he used the process of getting this license and everything he learned from the experience to get credit for a unique course he created. Bie will go to the Airforce Academy next year. He had been interested in aviation his whole life, and now, after being exposed through his gaining of a private license, will pursue the goal further in his years in the Airforce. Photo courtesy Stacey Bie.

As the world is progressing, the classroom is becoming an ever-changing environment, and each year, more and more students are taking advantage of an opportunity called credit flexibility or “credit flex.”

Credit flex is an Ohio law that allows students to receive high school credit for course work they complete outside of the traditional classroom. This may include required courses, elective courses in the SHS syllabus, or other courses not necessarily offered at SHS.

“[Credit flex] is a way for students to connect authentic learning experiences to what their passion is and receive high school credit for it,” said Ms. Renee Hevia, Assistant Principal at SHS.

Students go through a process of creating a plan beforehand that lays out what they intend to do. This plan then needs to be approved by a panel of teachers, and if so, the student can delve into his or her endeavor.

Upon completion of the plan, the student presents what he or she has completed to the panel, which awards the student with the credit and grade.

“These presentations are highly individualized. Many students provide photographs and/or powerpoints to present what has been learned and reflected upon,” said Hevia.

Many aspects of credit flex prove to be very beneficial. Students can use unique real world experiences to enrich their minds and gain high school credit. Also, the fact that a course was completed usind credit flex does not show up anywhere in their transcript.

“I think the most important thing about flex credit is that it gives you the opportunity to get credit for something that either the school does not give you an option to study or something that you are going to do anyway and enjoy,” said Mitchel Bie, 12.

Bie goes into the Airforce Academy this fall.

Many students at SHS have used credit flex to their advantage. Some have received PE credits, and some have received credit for unique courses they created to follow their passion. Even though service learning projects, receive an unweighted grade, many students believe that the experience is well worthwhile.

“This sort of project sets people way above the norm because it’s totally unique to you and it shows exactly what you’re passionate about and what you really stand for,” said Alexis Wilsey, 12.