Q&A with sophomore Anais Cabello on working out

Freshman+Sarah+Abraham+dives+into+the+water+preparing+to+swim+the+100+yard+breaststroke.+In+the+off+season%2C+Abraham+works+out+to+stay+in+shape.+%E2%80%9CIn+the+off+season+for+swimmer+I+play+water+polo+which+helps+me+because+it+involves+swimming+and+its+good+cross+training%2C%E2%80%9D+Abraham+said.+

Freshman Sarah Abraham dives into the water preparing to swim the 100 yard breaststroke. In the off season, Abraham works out to stay in shape. “In the off season for swimmer I play water polo which helps me because it involves swimming and its good cross training,” Abraham said.

When sport seasons are over, athletes are faced with weeks or even months until a new season begins again.

While some athletes decide to take the extra time to let their bodies recover from the months of arduous training, others decide to work out on their own so that they are able to stay in shape and get stronger.

Q: Why do you work out?

A: I want to stay healthy and I also want to stay fit. I really want a six pack by the end of the summer.

Q: Are you working out to stay in shape for any particular sport?

A: Yes, I am a swimmer and my best stroke is butterfly. Butterfly requires a lot of ab strength and cardiovascular endurance so I am hoping to improve on that by working out in the off season.

Q: What do you do to work out and stay in shape?

A: During the winter I go to the JCC and stretch, run, do ab work and do medicine balls; I use the treadmill and the step machine a lot. During the summer I run outside for two or more miles and then stretch and work out my abs.

Q: How do you think working out will affect your swim season?

A: It will be easier for me to get back into shape for swimming faster because I will have been working out and I didn’t let myself go.