‘Shrek the Musical’ captivates young audience

Harsimran Makkad

The actors enjoy having the elementary students come and see the show. “It was really nice having the second and third graders over. I know that a lot of my friends’ siblings were among them, and it was cool knowing that they were watching us,” Guedira said.

“Once upon a time, there was a little ogre named Shrek…”

The opening lines enchant the audience as lights dim and the story begins.

On April 15 and 16, second and third graders from the elementary schools in the district came to preview “Shrek the Musical” before the first performance two days later.

Based on the Oscar-winning film, the stage adaptation brings to life all the characters and proves that there is more to the story than meets the ears.

The students were delighted to watch the show

Shrek was very good, and I liked the characters and costumes. The actors did a good job,” third grader Evja Lundgren said.

“Princess Fiona’s voice was amazing, and she looked beautiful. The donkey was my favorite; he was really funny. One of the parts I liked was when Shrek roared so loud that all the knights screamed,” second grader Kenna Bolt said.

They hoped to see another adventure on stage soon.

“Shrek was great. I really liked how the actors made the story feel so real. The way they talked and [the looks on] their faces made it seem like they were [really] part of the [musical],” second grader Gurnoor Makkad said.

“I hope there is another play at the high school soon!”

The cast and crew along with theater director Mr. John Whapham have been working really hard to put the show together, meeting every day for the past three weeks to practice.

“We’ve been meeting since around February. As the weeks grew closer to the performance dates, we met more and more often until we began meeting every day for more than five hours,” freshman Yasmine Guedira said.

It is not too late to see the production. Show times this week are 7:30 p.m. on Fri., April 23 as well as 5:30 p.m. on Sat., April 25.

Tickets are $10 and can be bought online, in the Commons during lunch from Wed., Apr. 22 through Fri, Apr. 24, or at the door if available.

“I really enjoyed seeing the happy looks and wonder on the little kids’ faces. That is what theater is all about and one of the reasons I enjoy acting on stage,” Guedira said.