Varsity Gold Boys Tennis

Sophomore+Regis+Liou+captured+the+Second+Doubles+title+at+the+Coaches+Classic+along+with+senior+Aditya+Venkitarama.+They+will+both+compete+in+singles+for+individual+postseason+play.+The+team+returns+home+on+May+19+to+take+on+St.+Xavier+in+the+OTCA+Team+State+District+Semi-finals.+

Joe and Linda Stern

Sophomore Regis Liou captured the Second Doubles title at the Coaches Classic along with senior Aditya Venkitarama. They will both compete in singles for individual postseason play. The team returns home on May 19 to take on St. Xavier in the OTCA Team State District Semi-finals.

After having completed regular season competition, the Varsity Gold Tennis team sits in first place in the Greater Miami Conference (GMC), Cincinnati Enquirer, and Ohio Tennis Coaches Association (OTCA) polls with a record of 19 wins, zero losses.

“The regular season went quicker than any of my prior seasons on the team. Now we have to focus for all of the big events coming up,” senior Deepak Indrakanti said.

In tournament play, they took home first place outright in the Greater Cincinnati Tennis Coaches Association (GCTCA) Coaches Classic Tournament. They now turn their focus to postseason play.

Starting on May 7, the team will compete in the GMC Tournament. They have already captured the GMC regular season title, but in order to clinch it full and outright, they must place first in the tournament as well.

“GMC’s are nice because we get to be around a lot of quality guys throughout the day, and it is also nice to get a break from school,” junior Alex Taylor said.

Then, they will shift to individual competition through the Southwest District Athletic Board (SWDAB) Sectional and District tournaments with hopes of qualifying players for the individual Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) State Tournament in Columbus on May 29.

“Individual competition should be intense. I am looking forward to competing in singles this year. I will give my best effort and hopefully that gets me far,” sophomore said.

Also, in the OTCA Team State tournament, they have made it to the district semi finals against St. Xavier High School on May 19, and are two wins away from advancing to the State Final Four in Columbus on May 31.