Swimming prepares for first meet

Senior+Mary+Fry+readies+herself+to+swim+the+lead-off+leg+of+the+200+freestyle+relay+at+the+OHSAA+State+Championship+meet.+Fry+swims+for+the+Mason+Manta+Rays%2C+a+local+club+team.+However%2C+she+plans+to+practice+with+the+high+school+team+this+season.+Photo+by+Jean+Wu.+

Senior Mary Fry readies herself to swim the lead-off leg of the 200 freestyle relay at the OHSAA State Championship meet. Fry swims for the Mason Manta Rays, a local club team. However, she plans to practice with the high school team this season. Photo by Jean Wu.

As the try-out period has passed, the Varsity swimming roster for the 2015-2016 season is officially set. The team has inducted five freshmen onto the squad, including coach Dr. Daniel Carl’s son, Elliot Carl.

The freshmen on the Varsity team include:

• Noah Patterson
  • Ania Cambell
  • Libby VanDenBrink
  • Jason Merkel
  • Robert Schramm
  • Elliot Carl

Coach Carl, along with assistant coach Stephen Langdon, have begun to introduce more difficult practices into the regime three weeks into the season.

Senior Maya Sheth said “Practices are pretty mild the first week of practice, but now they will start to get harder, especially because the club swimmers will be coming back from their season to practice with us.”

Swimmers are allowed to practice with their club teams throughout the high school season, however they may not participate in club-sponsored meets after Sun. Dec. 13. After this date, they are only allowed to swim in high school meets.

Sheth said, “I practice with the Blue Ash YMCA until the last meet I can swim in, because then after the high school season I can swim in the YMCA championship meet, which you have to have swum in three YMCA meets to qualify for.”

The coaches will increase yardage and intensity of the swim sets through winter break, after which they will begin to taper swimmers off for their individual championship meets.

Meets that swimmers will taper for are:
Greater Miami Conference Championships
Ohio High School Swimming Association (OHSAA) Sectional Championships
OHSAA District Championships
OHSAA State Championships

Sheth said, “Usually I taper for the GMC or sectional meet . Tapering allows us to swim our fastest at the most important time of the season, which would be a swimmer’s particular championship meet.”

For more information on SHS swimming, click
http://www.sycamoreswimming.com/.