Dreams becoming realities

State tournament provides opportunity to make history

20

Senior Hannah Schwegmann plays defense. Schwegmann has been a part of the Varsity team since her freshman year. She is considering playing water polo at the collegiate level.

The girls water polo team will compete in the state tournament on Fri. Oct. 23 and Sat. Oct. 24 at Ohio Wesleyan University. The team is ranked second going into the tournament, behind Upper Arlington.

Every year, every team and every player has the same goal: to win the state tournament. This objective has been targeted by the SHS water polo team since the inauguration of the sport at the school.

Senior Hannah Kast said, “We always want to win state; it is the highest goal we can have as a high school water polo team. We have come so close within my high school career, and I really hope this is the year we get it.”

In 2012, the team got second, losing to Upper Arlington. The following year, after defeating Upper Arlington in the semifinals, SHS lost to Mason and once again was unsatisfied with receiving the second largest trophy. Notably, the team placed third in 2014.

Senior Jory Gould said, “We did really well for losing our entire starting lineup last year; a lot of people that needed to step up did. This year we have a little more experience which will help us out.”

Regardless of the team’s success, it realizes the challenges that it will face on its road to the state championship.

Gould said, “It is obviously going to be very hard; we will have to play a lot of good teams to get to the championship, and if we get there, we will inevitably be exhausted. However, if any team can do it, I think we can.”