Sycamore checkmates schools

+Sophomore+Victor+Lim+is+currently+ranked+1600+in+the+U.S.+Chess+Federation.+He+played+the+second+board+in+the+GMC.+Lim+was+also+selected+as+%E2%80%9Cfirst+team.%E2%80%9D

McDaniel’s Photography

Sophomore Victor Lim is currently ranked 1600 in the U.S. Chess Federation. He played the second board in the GMC. Lim was also selected as “first team.”

In previous years, the Mason chess team  was ranked first and Sycamore was usually ranked second at the GMC. However, on Mon. Dec. 7, Sycamore broke the annual tradition by becoming the champion of the GMC.

Freshman Max Guo said, “The road was long and hard, but we finally beat Mason after four years. We knew our opponents were tough, but our entire team stayed strong and managed to defeat them.”

When Sycamore went up against Mason before the tournament, SHS’s chess team had a victory over Mason 3.5-1.5.

Sophomore Victor Lim said, “We were able to defeat Mason before the GMC, but I was mostly not sure whether we are going to get the GMC first place trophy.”

Guo, Lim, and senior Divyesh Balamurali were selected as “first team” during the competition. First team were where the best ten players were voted.

Mrs. Beth Quinones said, “I am glad that we were able to bring back the trophy. And I am very proud of the students who worked hard.”