Healthy lunches mean healthy students

The+program+intended+to+reform+school+lunches+for+children+across+the+nation.+The+quality+of+meals+provided+to+students+of+the+nation+has+increased%2C+and+kids+have+become+healthier+since+its+implementation.+

MCT

The program intended to reform school lunches for children across the nation. The quality of meals provided to students of the nation has increased, and kids have become healthier since its implementation.

When soft, gooey chocolate chip cookies were exchanged for mushy, whole grain ones, dissatisfied students became aware of the 2012 federal law that focused on improving the nutritional quality of school lunches. According to new studies, the law is working.

Senior Christopher Seger said, “I remember all of my friends and I complaining about how everything in the cafeteria was changing. The pasta and cookies were all switched to whole grain.”
This Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act required an increase of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains in cafeterias. It also mandated that students select at least one serving of fruits or vegetables at every meal.

Sophomore Kaitlyn Jiang said, “The change in all of the food seemed annoying at first, but I think everyone just got used to it now.”

According to the New York Times, one year before and after the program was implemented, researchers gathered data on food selections in various middle and high schools, tracking more than 1.7 million meals.

Based on a 100-point scale that measures the amount of nutrients consumed, students earned an average of 58.7 before the program was implemented and an average of 75.6 after. Calorie content within foods consumed also decreased significantly.

Senior Raquel Levitt said, “Looking back on it, I think it was a good thing.”
For more information on student lunches, click here.