Boys’ Swimming takes GMC

2015-16+boys+swim+team+holding+the+GMC+championship+trophy.+This+was+the+first+time+the+boys+won+the+trophy+since+2012-13.+

Eamonn Bell

2015-16 boys swim team holding the GMC championship trophy. This was the first time the boys won the trophy since 2012-13.

The SHS boys’ swim team wrapped up their weekend by bringing in first and second place in the Greater Miami Conference or GMC. The men’s team brought the GMC trophy back to Sycamore for the first time in 2 years after SHS boys four year winning streak.
Sophomore Alex Newberg said, “It was great to win GMC’s now we just have to take that momentum to sectionals and give it our best shot and do well.”
The GMC is comprised of several different schools across the Cincinnati Area including Colerain, Fairfield, Lakota East, Lakota West, Princeton, Middletown, Mason, Oak Hills, Hamilton, and SHS. Each team enters four swimmers for every event, and can enter one relay.
EVENTS
50 Free
100 Free
100 Back
100 Breast
100 Fly
200 Free
200 IM
500 Free
SHS boys also had several winners, including 100 Freestyle champion Junior Matthew Schuetz, 50 freestyle winner Eamonn Bell. SHS also won the 200 free including Bell, Schuetz, Newberg, and Freshman Sammy Risma.
Bell said, “It was really a surreal moment. I’ve never really been first in a big meet. It just felt amazing that my team was right there behind me. It was truly an amazing experience to win for the Aves.”
The Men will now head to the Sectional Meet Fri. Feb. 12th, the meet will start at 6:30 at Mason High School.
Freshman Noah Patterson said, “This season has been one o the best in my entire life, I’m sad that the season is coming to an end. This group of swimmers this year are not only extremely talented, but they are great people too. I look forward to being with these people for the next few years.”