Grace Murray Hopper

MCT

Grace Murray Hopper is the first female computer programmer. Computer science now is one of the most male dominated feilds. She serves as a inspiration to the many women who work with technology.

Rujula Kapoor, Infographic Chief

The work that Grace Murray Hopper has contributed to the world of computing has resulted in a revolution in technology that still impacts our lives today. She was the inventor of the first compiler for a computer language.
Hopper was born on December 9, 1906, and grew up in New York City. She went to school at the Vassar College and earned a bachelor’s degree in mathematics and physics. She on went to be a professor at the same school. She later earned a master’s degree and a PHD in mathematics at Yale University.
After completing her education, Hopper served in the armed forces. While she was a lieutenant she was assigned to the Bureau of Ships Computation Project at Harvard University. It was there that she worked on the mark 1 computer.
She began working at the Eckert–Mauchly Computer Corporation helping to develop the UNIVAC . She then began to work with creating a compiler.
She was able to complete her running compiler in 1952, while there were skeptics the company released her work in 1954. It became the foundation compiler-based programming languages.
Hopper retired from the Navy Reserve at the age of 60, and spent the rest of her life consulting with companies. She then died in1992 at the age of 85 and was she was interred with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetery.
Harper serves as an inspiration, and her work in computing has been a source of encouragement for women in all fields of science.

“The most dangerous phrase in the language is, ‘We’ve always done it this way.'”
– Grace Murray Hopper