Sit-down with Kiri Wang

Student takes orchestra to next level

CSYO is the youth version of Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra (CSO). CSYO and CSO perform together once a year at Music Hall as a special event. Additionally, each year, they have five to eight concerts and occasionally tour the country.

Kiri Wang

While other students binge-watch shows all year round, sophomore Kiri Wang practices her cello and takes the stage at concerts for her competitive orchestra, the All-State at Cincinnati Symphony Youth Orchestra (CSYO).

Wang said, “I started playing cello at the age of seven, and my mom was a music teacher at the time so she taught me for about four years.

“Philharmonic was the first group that I had ever auditioned for that looked for a really professional sound. When I tried out freshman year, I totally failed because I had not practiced enough.

“I was really upset and embarrassed because I wanted to play interesting pieces and be in a selective, high caliber group. I also wanted to tour New York and play at Carnegie Hall. I’m still angry I missed that.

“My need for redemption after a flop of series of auditions freshman year was my main motivation for practicing my pieces this year. Getting into CSYO was a reward for all the time put into practicing and polishing my solo and audition excerpts.

“People here are really, really amazing, so I sit in the back. I am okay with it though because I only wanted to get in to be part of something that I love and that others are equally or even more passionate about.

“I’m well aware that I still have a lot to improve on and I am still new to this group, so I still have a lot to learn from my fellow musicians. These people play at amazing events and go to summer camps in prestigious places every year.

“It is a hobby in the purest sense, but it is also very important to me as it has been my main after school activity for 9 years, and I learn about things like hard work and time management from it.

“Playing for me helps to de-stress because I can play the stress and emotion out into the notes making great music which makes me feel better after. It sometimes works as great therapy.

“The experience is eye opening too, and the time people spend doing this is amazing and really very humbling.”