Going to court

MCT

A judge swears in witnesses before the court. Later in the year, students in the class will do a pretend trial. The field trip will be an example for them to learn from.

All Law Studies students are leaving on a field trip the week everyone gets back from break. After watching cases at the Hamilton County Courthouse, the class will go to the restaurant Tom and Chee.
Freshman Meghna Santra said, “I think Mr. Ostendorf takes us on the law studies field trip to really give us something to learn from, to see what we learned from his class appear in real life.”
Mr. Ostendorf takes his students on this trip every semester. It is the only field trip the class takes and he is the only teacher for the class. The bells will be split up among three days Mar. 29 to the 31.
Santra said, “You can learn about court proceedings in real life and take clues on how lawyers give opening and closing statements, cross-examinations, and so forth, which would be very beneficial if you are to consider a career in the legal field in the future.”
Later in the year, students in the class will do a pretend ‘mock’ trial. The field trip will be an example for them to learn from.
Santra said, “You can learn about trials by going on the field trip.”
There is no planned case to visit, the students observered the current cases.
Mr. Ostendorf is also the coach of Mock Trial, a club whose season recently ended. In that, all grade levels that were divided into three teams competed at the Hamilton County Courthouse.
For more articles, click here.