Swimmers dive into spring season

SHS+swimming+holds+its+annual+senior+night+as+the+last+home+meet+of+the+seniors.+This+year%2C+9+seniors+graduated.+Four+of+the+girls+graduating+were+state+qualifiers.+

Photo by McDaniel’s Photography.

SHS swimming holds its annual senior night as the last home meet of the seniors. This year, 9 seniors graduated. Four of the girls graduating were state qualifiers.

While the high school swimming season came to an end at the conclusion of the Ohio High School State Meet in February, many swimmers have not finished their competition for the year.

Club teams provide swimmers with the opportunity to practice all year instead of the four-month span of the high school season. This allows swimmers to develop technique and build strength instead of losing muscle by not swimming for long periods of time.

Senior Jory Gould said, “I swim with the Blue Ash YMCA. I have been swimming there since I was a little kid and a lot of my friends swim there. Also, I really like the coach and I think it helps me get faster.”

The local club teams are as follows:
Cincinnati Marlins
Blue Ash YMCA
Powel Crosley Jr YMCA
Countryside YMCA
Mason Manta Rays
Mercy Healthplex Seawolves

Junior Isabelle Jimenez said, “I used to swim for the Cincinnati Marlins and I thought that the coaching staff was amazing. I made great friends and really learned a lot about swimming and improved with their team.”

Looking forward, swimmers are preparing to fill the shoes of the graduating seniors. Improvement during the spring and summer seasons will lend way to a successful high school season in the winter.

Junior Lily Retford said, “I am working really hard this summer to drop time. I hope that this will transfer to a good high school season.”