Moose shoots into action

The+Moose+girls+A+team+at+the+Jose+Cerda+Memorial+Tournament.+The+tournament+was+set+up+in+honor+of+Jose+Cerda%2C+a+student+at+SHS+who+passed+away+his+senior+year.+This+tournament+is+hosted+by+Moose+Water+Polo+and+occurs+every+July.+

Photo courtesy of Paul Splitt.

The Moose girls A team at the Jose Cerda Memorial Tournament. The tournament was set up in honor of Jose Cerda, a student at SHS who passed away his senior year. This tournament is hosted by Moose Water Polo and occurs every July.

Moose Water Polo is a club team in Cincinnati for players to practice water polo during the off-season. This club team is led by SHS Boys head coach Nicholas Hellwig. The girls side is run by former SHS coach and current AMDG coach Paul Splitt.
Hellwig is assisted by the St. Xavier assistant coach John Pererra, the Mason High School head coach Kent Rasumen, and a Mercyhurst player Dave Matulis.
The girls assistant coaches are former SHS girls coach Gary Tameris and SHS girls new head coach for the 2016 season Jessen Link.
Moose takes place during the fall, spring, and summer. The high school season takes place in the fall, so the fall season tends to be for kids under the age of fourteen who are looking to learn how to play.
The under-14 team is a co-ed team. During the spring season, the 14 and unders practice at the Blue Ash YMCA twice a week.
Freshman Mallory Lefton said, “Moose is a good way to learn and practice in the off-season. Practices are optional, so you go when you choose to go. It is also a good way to stay in shape when you are not swimming or playing water polo.”
Moose is comprised of players from these high schools across the Cincinnati area:

• Milford
  • Mason
  • Princeton
  • Mount Notre Dame
  • Ursuline
  • Mother of Mercy
  • Walnut Hills
  • SHS

During tournaments, the teams are joined by players from other states in the Midwest. During the 2015 Junior Olympics, the girls team was joined by players from Michigan, Illinois, and Missouri.
Sophomore Abigail Hausfeld said, “Moose gives you perspective from coaches who don’t normally coach you during your high school season. It gives you a new opinion on your skills and how you play, so you can improve.”
The Moose team hopes to qualify for the Junior Olympics, which are held in Orange County, California this summer.
Senior Hannah Kast said, “I have been to the Junior Olympics three times so far and each time has taught me something unique. It is a great opportunity.”