AP testing begins

Photo by Christine Macke

AP testing will continue over the next two weeks with two tests per day. The tests are lengthy, but after a student is finished, they are excused from classes for the rest of the day. The scores for tests will be released in July.

On May 2, 2016, AP testing started, and will continue for the next two weeks. Students who are enrolled in classes such as environmental science and psychology have already taken their tests and can now breathe a big sigh of relief.

Sophomore Leslie Brown said, “I was extremely stressed about the test beforehand, but once I actually began taking it, I realized that I was very well prepared and had no reason to worry.”

Two AP tests take place per day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Tests often take place in the Gregory Center and take about three and a half hours each.

According to the College Board, “More people than ever are taking AP exams, and they are doing better on them. The average score rose to 2.83 from 2.80 out of a maximum of 5.”

Now that students are doing better, some extremely selective colleges are not accepting AP credit any longer. Many of the Ivy League schools have publically stated that they will no longer accept any credit from AP tests.

CEO of the Educational Board Improvement Center David Conely said, “We’ve always seen a certain group of colleges not give credit to AP. It’s not that unusual and new. They’re highly selective and can get away with that.”

In translation, unless you are planning on going to a prestigious school such as Harvard or Yale, AP test scores will mostly likely count for credit and look good on applications regardless of the school you are applying to.