Students strive to end youth homelessness

Emily+Chien

Free lunch was also provided and volunteers received much-needed service hours for their hard work. Ferdinand said, “I absolutely loved the experience. Next year, we are planning something even bigger and even better.”

On May 7, the Lighthouse Student Advisory Council held an event made for high school students and run by high school students, helping students learn and serve through three service learning projects throughout the morning and afternoon.

Sophomore Thea Ferdinand said, “As a member of the council, I manned the community garden station.

“A couple of other people and I will give a short presentation about how community gardens like these help homeless youth with things like health and team-building.”

Student volunteers went through three learn-and-serve stations including the creation of notes of encouragement, the tending of the community garden, and the creation of no-sew blankets.

Ferdinand said, “I had a lot of fun working with everyone. It was not all work, though. During our hour-long lunch period, we took the time to get to know everyone, too.”

A speaker representing the Lighthouse organization spoke, and an ex-homeless youth shared her story with the volunteers and enlightened them on the horrors that live here in Cincinnati.

Ferdinand said, “It was overall very inspiring. In the end, I think everyone that came out went home with a good mindset and an experience to remember.”