Water polo sprints into Ohio Cup

Junior+goalie%2C+Abigail+Hausefeld+readies+herself+to+block+a+shot.++Hausefeld+is+a+member+of+the+junior+varsity+swim+team+outside+of+water+polo+season.+She+is+unsure+of+her+athletic+plans+for+after+high+school.+

McDaniel’s Photography

Junior goalie, Abigail Hausefeld readies herself to block a shot. Hausefeld is a member of the junior varsity swim team outside of water polo season. She is unsure of her athletic plans for after high school.

As the season nears the midway point, the SHS girls water polo team is gearing up to compete in the annual Ohio Cup tournament, the Midwest’s largest high school tournament.

“The Ohio Cup is a really great tournament because all the teams in Ohio are there and it gives us a good idea of where all the teams at.” said Sarah Abraham, 11.

The Ohio Cup will be held on Sat., Sep. 17 and Sun., Sep. 18 in Worthington, Ohio.

As opposed to a set game schedule, the tournament is conducted in a bracket style. The games on the first day of the tournament are used to determine what rank a team is going into the second day.

“The season really gets started at Ohio Cup. Before that, the season hasn’t gotten into full swing. The tournament is an important segway into the middle of the season.” said Abraham

SHS will play the following schedule on Sat., Sep. 17:
Upper Arlington high school at 10:00 a.m.
Fairview high school at 5:00 p.m.
St. Ursula high school at 6:00 p.m.

“I think that we have a really good schedule for the first day. We are going to go out there and try to win as many games as possible.” said Grace Mather, 12.

The team has a two wins to eight losses ratio going into the tournament, however they are confident about their abilities to compete at the highest level of play.

Mather said, “The competition amongst the teams is really good this year. We have always been competitive with our opponents.

For more information on SHS water polo, click here.