Announcing National Merit Commended

Around 34,000 of the 50,000 high scorers on the PSAT/NMSQT are receiving letters this week.

These are letters of commendation, which recognize the individual’s outstanding academic promise. Commended students are named on a specific basis.

The individual must have a nationally applied Selection Index score, which varies from year to year, although it is lower than the score necessary to be named a Semifinalist. This number varies by state.

Unfortunately, commended students do not continue on in the competition. But around 1,200 of these students become candidates for Special Scholarships, which are sponsored by corporations and business.

“Congrats to everyone who has received this award! It is definitely an honor and something to be proud of,” said Allie Albrecht, 10.

Some may be heartbroken that this letter means the end of the line for them, but it is still a huge accomplishment to make it this far.

“Cheers to [the Commended]. Thank you for representing Sycamore! All of your hard work and dedication has paid off, and I hope this inspires people to give it their all,” said Verany Iek, 10.

“[I am] proud of what this school has accomplished. Congrats to you all!” said Kaitlynn Herzog, 11.

With all of the exciting National Merit Semifinalist and Commended news coming in, and other awards and accomplishments for students in different endeavors, the new #SYCAMORESTRONG is ringing true this year.

Congratulations to the following seniors, who were recognized as Commended:

Isabele Augustin
Aaron Charnay
Benjamin Charnay
Nathan Estill
Umang Joshi
Clare Knife
Kevin Lawson
Supriya Malla
Peter McCutcheon
Brett Mihlbachler
Athulya Murali
Varun Nagendra
Esther Pittinger
Laura Setser
Madeleine Sykes
Emma Traylor
Katherine Van Den Brink
Orchid Wang