Homecoming festivities await

%E2%80%9CEven+though+it+was+raining+everyone+was+having+a+great+time.+Homecoming+is+a+great+time+to+connect+with+new+friends+who+you+may+not+have+classes+with.+I+can%E2%80%99t+wait+for+the+game+this+year%2C+said+Gabby+Yun%2C+11.%0APhoto+Courtesy+of+McDaniels+Photography.+

Bao, Jenna Xu

“Even though it was raining everyone was having a great time. Homecoming is a great time to connect with new friends who you may not have classes with. I can’t wait for the game this year,” said Gabby Yun, 11. Photo Courtesy of McDaniels’ Photography.

When the leaves start changing colors and the temperature drops, everyone knows it is time for one of the most anticipated events of the year: homecoming.

The tradition started as early as the 1870’s with the goal of uniting the student body and fostering school pride with events such as the football games, dances, and parades.

And ever since then homecoming has done just that; it brings students together to start the new year united and stronger than ever.

“Homecoming is such an exciting time for everyone no matter what you are involved in. Since it is so big, it’s something that people look forward to every year,” said Gabby Yun, 11.

The homecoming festivities will include the traditional Spirit Week leading up to the football game when students will dress up to a different theme each day.

“My freshman year my friends and I didn’t want to do anything fancy so we just went to Steak and Shake. Homecoming is great because everyone can have fun in their own way,” said Jessica Fehr, 11.

The football game will start at 7 p.m. at the Sycamore Stadium on Oct. 7 and the dance will start at 9 p.m. at the high school on Oct. 8.

The theme of the dance is Aves in Space. The Student Council plays a big role in planning the event by coordinating the decorations and event logistics.

For more information about the history of homecoming visit: