Aves Dance Team

Tricking to third

Coach Elise Williams

The Aves Dance Team pose with their newly earned trophy on Sat., Jan. 6 at Seton High School. They competed in the small Varsity Hip-Hop Division. Kings and Archbishop McNicholas High School placed above them, while Campbell County High School placed below; it was a tight division where the only difference between first and fourth place was eight points.

After learning the competition routine in August, cleaning and drilling that routine throughout the season, topped off with six days of three hour practices during winter break, the ten Flyerettes had one shot to show the judges the work they put in.

And they did, proving their effort with a third place finish. The Aves Dance Team competed at the annual Seton Dance Invitational (http://shsdance.org/events/) at Seton High School on Sat., Jan. 7. They brought ten girls to compete putting them in the small Varsity hip-hop division.

“We are a ‘little’ family and we support one another. On the court or field, we will bring it without a hassle. We move as a unit. Competition was hard work, but it payed off in the end. 3rd place!” said Amanda Geraci, 9.

This was the team’s first time competing in three years, making it a very new experience for the girls.

“This team is built upon hard workers and spirited young women. I’ve never been challenged to this level in life, and I was very glad to accept, and execute this routine with honor,” said Verany Iek, first year member, 10.

Over the summer, the girls spent two days filled with three hour practices learning the choreography. Miss MacKenzie Wall, math teacher, taught the choreography to the dancers. She used the song “Trifecta” by DJ Sliink, Twrk, and Green Lantern.

To get the experience of performing in front of the audience, they performed the dance at the Varsity boys basketball game at halftime.

“I’m so proud of this team of respectable young ladies. We set the goals high, and they pushed past their comfort zone to get there. As far as I am concerned, we have the best team there is,” said Mrs. Elise Williams, art teacher and team coach.