Rain drop, blood drop

The+blood+drive+will+take+place+in+the+Gregory+Center.+Students+receive+passes+when+they+sign+up+so+that+they+are+able+to+leave+class+to+participate.+There+is+a+special+time+slot+reserved+for+students+who+wish+to+participate+in+a+slightly+different+procedure.+It+takes+about+ten+minutes+longer%2C+and+separates+the+blood+cells+from+the+plasma+cells+then+returns+the+plasma+cells+to+the+donor.+

McDaniel's Photography

The blood drive will take place in the Gregory Center. Students receive passes when they sign up so that they are able to leave class to participate. There is a special time slot reserved for students who wish to participate in a slightly different procedure. It takes about ten minutes longer, and separates the blood cells from the plasma cells then returns the plasma cells to the donor.

According to the Hoxworth Blood Center, one donation can save three lives. Thurs., Feb. 16 is the date of the annual Blood Drive at SHS. Each year, Student Council seniors contact the Hoxworth Blood Center to organize a blood drive.

When students donate blood, they are making a donation of one pint. Women have nine to ten pints of blood in their bodies and men have about ten to eleven, making a one pint donation essentially harmless.

Students who are over the age of 16 are eligible to donate blood with parental or guardian consent, and those who are 17 or older do not need parental consent, just a form of photo identification.

“We had sign-up sheets out for about a week. People got to chose which bell they will be missing, which I think makes more people want to go since we’re being flexible.

“The sign-up sheets actually filled up pretty fast. Our goal was about 70 and we filled all but a couple slots. A lot of people didn’t want to stay after school, probably because of sports and clubs,” said Renee Foster, 12.

The procedure is said to be almost painless and lasts anywhere from 15 to 35 minutes so students can return to class. Student Council seniors volunteer all day and hand out stickers and snacks so students feel refueled.

“I don’t mind volunteering because I know it’s for a good cause, which sounds cliche, but saving three lives with one donation is major. I don’t mind missing class for one day and having to catch up because this is so important.

“I’m impressed with how many people realize this is important. I know people are afraid of needles so this is brave of them,” said Sydney Klein, 12.