Diversity Week takes off in Aves nation

ERASE.  On Wed., Mar. 1, SHS celebrates national “Spread the Word to End the Word Day.”  We recognized our students with disabilites and their ability to do everything that anyone else can do.  This day was one of five Diversity Days at SHS.

SHS Leaf Staff

ERASE. On Wed., Mar. 1, SHS celebrates national “Spread the Word to End the Word Day.” We recognized our students with disabilites and their ability to do everything that anyone else can do. This day was one of five Diversity Days at SHS.

The week of February 27 to March 3 was SHS’s annual Diversity Week. The Leaf created PSA (Public Service Announcement) videos for each day, including an overview video shown on February 24. There are also activities in the Commons during both lunch bells.

The first day was Mon., Feb. 27: diversity panel. This day was all about the racial, religious, and cultural diversity of SHS. It was the celebration of the differences of people at our school.

The next day was Tues., Feb. 28: diversity in languages. This day was about the multiple languages here at SHS, including classes and student-known languages.

“It is cool that we can all get along at our school but still all have our different language backgrounds,” said Samir Idris, 10.

The following day was Wed., Mar. 1: education diversity. It was a celebration of the variety of educational learning at SHS. We recognized that although all students learn differently, it does not separate potential.

“I love how no matter what abilities or disabilities you have; you can still achieve great things depending on your determination,” said Luke Huffer, 11.

Next was Thurs., Mar. 2: sexual orientation. Here at Sycamore, we celebrated gender equality and that no matter what gender you are, you can do what any other gender can.

The last day of Diversity Week was Fri., Mar. 3: reflections. This was a day to reflect on the diversity of SHS. We are blessed to attend a school where people can be unique. Sycamore is a school that demonstrates what is called the melting pot.

“Sycamore High School is a school of great diversity where everyone is themselves,” said Patrick Eigel, 10.

Beyond that week, we should take the time to realize the diversity and freedoms we have on a daily basis.