• Band Concert Dec.12, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.

• Choir Concert Dec. 7, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.

• Orchestra Concert at Junior High Dec. 6, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.

• No School Nov. 22-24 - Thanksgiving Break

Psychology students shatter social norms

TENSE. Junior Allie Ross went to Kenwood Mall and sat directly next to strangers for as long as possible. “I could tell that [people] were uncomfortable and confused with the fact that I was not following the expectations of a personal space barrier, but I continued on anyway,

TENSE. Junior Allie Ross went to Kenwood Mall and sat directly next to strangers for as long as possible. “I could tell that [people] were uncomfortable and confused with the fact that I was not following the expectations of a personal space barrier, but I continued on anyway," Ross said.

MCT Photo

MCT Photo

Yvanna Reyes, Staff Writer

Select SHS students participated in a project where they were challenged to go out in public and go against the unsaid rules of society or ‘break a social norm’.

Tasks that break a social norm include invading personal space, paying only in coins, doing yoga in a dress, sleeping on beds at furniture stores, making intense eye contact with someone, or any creative option of their choice.

Students also had to avoid wearing costumes to inhibit deindividuation, a psychology term that defines why people are more enabled to do radical things, because they feel a loss of self-awareness and distance from their personality.

In all, embarrassment is encouraged. Juniors and seniors in AP Psychology documented their experience with a picture or video and applied three vocabulary terms to the experiment.

“For my project, I went trick-or-treating in my neighborhood in May wearing normal clothing. People were so confused,” said Emily Reddy, 11.

Participants are not allowed to tell others that they are interacting with them for a project. Instead, part of the experiment is to leave others confused and imply cognitive dissonance, which is when actions do not agree with one’s thoughts.

“The hardest part may be the feeling you get before you do it; cognitive dissonance feels heaviest there,” said Mrs. Laura Miniard, AP Psychology teacher.

“An older man was so upset with me, he asked, ‘Why are you here? I don’t have anything for you.’ But overall, this was a fun project. It was exciting,” Reddy said.

• Psychology students shatter social norms

National/International

Trump Administration decision revokes residency

Local

‘Polling’ our weight

Local

Controversial white nationalist speaker ignites backlash over University of Cincinnati appearance

Local

Students lend hands

National/International

‘Food allergies on the rise’

National/International

Women demand voices be heard

School

Your vote counts: Learn who you can elect for your school board

Local

Summit holds Halloween hangout with last movie

School

Four Sycamore seniors score 36 on ACT

National/International

‘Racist Dove ad’ taken out of context